Thursday, October 05, 2006

Indian Wells Resort (and Priceline) Review

When visiting the Palm Springs area in the past I've only stayed in Palm Desert:
Marriott Desert Springs Resort Villas I & II (timeshares, but reservable to outsiders)
Club Intrawest (timeshares, but somehow I got to stay at these gorgeous condos)
Palm Valley Country Club (my own luxury vacation rental condo)

Many of my trips to Palm Desert are for vacation rental business at Palm Valley, but my place is often occupied. I usually just suck it up and drive 2 hours out and back from Orange County. Not last week!

I decided to go out the night before, and being frugal...I decided to try Priceline for the first time ever. I'd always been afraid to use the service because too much was at stake when my trips involved airplanes and vacations. For one night though? In an area I know? Why Not?

My Priceline experience was great. I took a look at what they had in their inventory. Spent a few minutes researching the hotels and then decided they were still a little more than it was worth to me to spend the night (I put a $100 value on not having to drive it all in one day). I then saw the "name your price" feature and took a gamble: 3 stars in Indian Wells or Palm Desert for $50. They booked the Indian Wells Resort hotel for me at that rate, plus tax, with a continental breakfast included. It was only 10 minutes from my ultimate destination.

Upon arrival on a weekday evening the staff was efficient and curteous. The lobby was clean, inviting, and felt a bit luxurious for $50. Checkin was fine, EXCEPT I needed to pay a $16 "resort fee." I know these are not optional, but didn't see this disclosed anywhere with Priceline. I didn't choose to question the charge, because I already felt like I was getting a tremendous value.

For that $16 I was able to enjoy some appetizers in the bar before dinner time (plus and excellent Cosmo for a reasonable charge); an oatmeal breakfast and fresh coffee in the morning. Had I had time, it would have also given me access and transport to the private Indian Wells Country Club, home of the Bob Hope Classic, and at the Golf Resort at Indian Wells, named one of the 10 best golf courses in CA.

The Indian Wells Resort seemed a bit dated and confused: was it art deco or romanesque? My room was spacious, comfortable, and had free wireless internet, but it smelled a bit odd (either residual smoke at this non smoking hotel or mildew), but had been updated.
All in all, a 3 star accomodation, at a 1 star price! Not bad ;)

No comments: